Dr. Reddys Laboratories Limited or DRREDDY
It is a 25–year old company catering to the needs of the pharmaceutical sector, and it began its operation in 1984 in the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) section. It started with a single drug in a 60-ton facility near Hyderabad and also shipped its first consignment of the Methyldopa drug towards West Germany in 1986.
The Company is among the top three API players worldwide. Also, it is a global pharmaceutical company, which has its headquarters in India. It also has a global presence in 100+ countries, with its subsidiaries in the countries such as the UK, US, Germany, Russia, and Brazil. And joint ventures in Australia, China, and South Africa. And representative offices in 16 countries and third–party distribution setups in about 21 countries.
It is also the first pharmaceutical company in Asia, outside Japan, which is listed on the NYSE and largest player in the custom pharmaceutical services or CPS business in India. It has launched brands such as Nise, Ciprolet, Enam, Stamlo, Omez, and Ketorol, and many others.
The Company also launched Imitrex (sumatriptan succinate) tablets in several dosages of 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg in the US. Also, it is the authorized generic version of the GlaxoSmithKline’s Imitrex. It is the first company to launch Imitrex (with its generic version) in the US market. Such tablets are for the treatment of migraine in adults.
The Company includes:
- 6 FDA–inspected plants in INDIA.
- 1 Cytotoxic facility.
- 1 FDA–inspected plant in Mexico.
- 1 FDA–inspected plant in Mirfield, UK.
- 3 Technology development centers (2 in Hyderabad, INDIA; 1 in Cambridge, UK).
Some of the Milestones:
- In June 2009, Dr. Reddy's announces a strategic alliance with GSK for the development and marketing of the selected products in emerging markets overseas.
- In October 2010, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories and SoluBest, an Israel–based clinical-stage developer, closed a collaboration contract for developing a new, exclusive formulation of one of the latter’s pipelines compounds.
- In October 2010, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories inked a licensing pact with Cipla for exclusive marketing rights of a portfolio of OTC and prescription products in both Russian and Ukraine markets.
- In November 2010, GlaxoSmithKline and Dr. Reddy's agreed to the sale of the US Penicillin Facility and Products. In this, GSK decided to transfer ownership of its penicillin manufacturing sites in Bristol, US, and rights for the Augmentin and Amoxil brands in the US to Dr.Reddy’s Laboratories.
- In December 2010, the company entered an agreement with R–Pharma of Russia in the sector of high–technology and knowledge sharing.
- In January 2011, the company entered into a pact with UK–based contract research firm, Argenta, for the collaboration in drug discovery. According to this pact, the duo will work in the sector of pain and inflammation.
- In March 2011, the company completed the acquisition of GlaxoSmithKline’s (GSK) United States oral penicillin facility and product portfolio under the agreement signed and announced by the companies in November 2010.
- In September 2011, the company came into a settlement agreement with Pfizer, to resolve litigation associated with Lipitor(R) Tablets, known generically as Atorvastatin Calcium tablets.
- In 2011:
- The Company launches Levocetirizine tablets in the US.
- The Company launches a generic allergy drug in the US.
- The Company launches pegfilgrastim in India under the brand name 'Peg–grafeel.
- In 2012:
- The Company launches Quetiapine Fumarate Tablets.
Some of the Businesses: