On 7th February 1946, it was being incorporated, and it carries on business as civil mechanical electrical chemical & agricultural engineers as manufacturers as importers & exporters & as contractors as well. It also represents a considerable number of overseas manufacturers, and notably manufacturers of tractors, dairy machinery, agricultural machinery, general industrial and film cooling towers and engineering plants and coal mining machinery.
In 1969, with effect from 1st Oct., Alu Capsules Ltd & India, Crown Cork, Co. Ltd, both were the wholly-owned subsidiaries being amalgamated with the company. And a new division was formed such as Bottle Closure Division. In 1975, it also commissioned a plant located at Bangalore for the manufacture of multipurpose hydraulic excavators and a high-pressure hydraulic system in collaboration with Poclain, S.A. France. Also, the Faridabad Factory became operative and started the manufacturing of switchboards. It also manufactured and delivered two-end shields for the Kakrapara Atomic Power Project and also it diversified into the field of 400 KV transmission lines.
In 1988, it also entered into collaboration agreements with Sundstrand Sauer, the USA for the manufacture of axial piston units, with case vibromax, W. Germany for the manufacture of vibratory compactors and with JI Case, USA, for the manufacture of wheel loaders. Also, a memorandum of understanding was signed between the company and Colas S.A of France for setting up a joint venture company for the production of asphalt emulsion. It also bagged the EPC contract for the INR 135 crore captive power plants being set up by Usha Martin Industries, now known as Usha Beltron, of the Jhawars. In 2000, it also declared a strategic partnership with SAP India and even set up a wholly-owned subsidiary named, `L&T Capital Company Ltd,' for focusing on the business opportunities in the capital market.
Some of the Milestones:
- It also formed a separate company L&T EMSYS (or L&T Embedded Systems) for embedded software development.
- NHAI or the National Highways Authority of India also signed two contracts with L&T for the construction of the two major bridges on the Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam section of NH 5 located in Andhra Pradesh.
- It bagged 50 million orders from Oman India Fertilizer Project.
- It bagged the Indian Oil Contract to Build Panipat PTA Plant.
- It won INR 2690 million IBRD-funded road project in Karnataka.
- It bagged INR 9210 million mega orders for the country's largest hydel project.
- It secured INR 700 crore power plant order from the GMR group.
- Also, the L&T-John Deere signed an MoU with SBM for tractor financing.
- It bagged an order worth -m in UAE.
- It also received an INR 1370 mn order for Nuclear Power Plant Equipment.
- It bagged a commendation award.
- The Bank of Baroda signed an MoU with the L&T John
- It won a contract for coal gasification equipment from China valued at INR 95 crore.
- It started the new 35 HP tractor.
- Both L&T and BEL join hands to develop radar for the Army.
- Both Tata Steel and Larsen & Toubro (L&T) signed a definitive agreement for forming a 50:50 joint venture for setting up a port at Dhamra in Orissa as on October 29,2004.
- It also joined hands with Dubai to set up an alumina plant.
- It bagged INR 1650 mn order for Water Supply System to Greater Bangalore.
- It secured INR 4950 mn contract for the new Hyderabad Airport.
- It received the contracts from Dubai-based firm.
- It entered into an MoU with DSL, Nashik for a m