Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
Power Grid Corporation of India Limited was BEING incorporated in New Delhi on October 23, 1989, under the Companies Act, 1956 as a public limited company with the name of National Power Transmission Corporation Limited. It also received a certificate for commencement of business on November 8, 1990, and the company name was changed to its present name Power Grid Corporation of India Limited. Along with a new certificate of incorporation was issued on October 23, 1992. The name of the Company was again changed to its present name from National Power Transmission Corporation Limited as its then abbreviated form. Also, NPTC Limited had a close resemblance to its other existing company, namely, NTPC Limited.
The company has been carrying out its various responsibilities efficiently in the sectors of construction, operation, and maintenance of interstate transmission systems and operation of regional power grids. It has been notified as to the Central Transmission Utility or CTU of the country.
Also, the objective of Power Grid Corporation of India is to create a secure and vibrant national grid in the country ensures the optimum utilization of generating resources and conservation of an eco-sensitive right of way and with the flexibility to accommodate the uncertainty of the generation plans.
The company has achieved many milestones and established benchmarks in various areas of its business operations. Now, it plays a strategic role in the Indian power sector in developing and managing the transmission infrastructure.
Some of its Subsidiaries are:
- Power System Operation Corporation Limited
- Byrnihat Transmission Company Limited
Some of its Joint ventures:
- Powerlinks Transmission Limited
- Torrent Powergrid Limited
- Jaypee Powergrid Limited
- Parbati Koldam Transmission Company Limited
- Teesta Valley Power Transmission Limited
- North East Transmission Company Limited
- National High Power Test Laboratory Private Limited
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited
- Powergrid IL&FS Transmission Private Limited=
Some of the Milestones:
- Listing of the Equity Shares on the various Stock Exchanges.
- 2008– The Company was declared as a Navratna public sector undertaken by the GoI.
- The 220 KV Double Circuit Transmission line from Pul–e–Khumri to Kabul Transmission System in Afghanistan was built.
- 2009– The National Load Despatch Centre was being established.
- The Subsidiary, Power System Operation Corporation Limited, was incorporated.
- The Company was mentioned as the world's third-largest transmission utility by a news release issued by the World Bank.
- 2010– The Company was selected as a consortium member to implement the National Knowledge Network Project, a telecommunication infrastructure project. Commissioning of the commercial operations of the National Load Despatch Centre.
- Commissioning of the 220/110/20 KV Chimtala substation at Kabul, Afghanistan
- 2011– The Company entered into a MoU with the Jamia Millia Islamia University for the training and certification of its System Operators in Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) technology.
Some of the Awards:
- 2009– The Company was being awarded First Prize at IEEMA Power Awards 2009 ceremony for Excellence in Power Transmission by NDTV Profit. The Company is also recognized for its commendable performance by the MoP for the year 2007–08 and won a Gold Shield for the transmission system at North Eastern region, a Silver Shield for the transmission system at the Western part and a Silver Shield for the ea